Friday, July 19, 2013

There are no bad questions.

It has been a great couple of days here in Ghana! So great that I haven't even had time to write :)

CHARLES WENT HOME! Hallelujah Jesus. I am so grateful to have met this wonderful man of faith. He will still be coming for daily dressing changes, but today he'll get to go home and bathe/change clothes for the first time in two weeks. I am so indebted to his encouragement and example of faith. What a strong servant. He even calls Dustin his brother.

We had another patient come to the hospital unconscious but responding to pain. He was Kussmaul breathing (all my fellow medicals... look that one up), and stiff. In short, he was dying. He was a long time victim of strokes and COPD. So, his family had brought him here kind of knowing it was time. Well, he laid in the bed and labored for several hours. He was moaning and covered in sweat. Like he had been showering. Gasping for breath. I felt his agony of wrestling with death. It was nearly tangible in the room. Finally after 4-5 hours of this misery I went into the room and just prayed over him. I said " Lord, I pray that this man knew you, and that you would not let him suffer like this any more. Let him go and take your servant home. I commit his soul to you." And as soon as I finished he took two more gasping breaths and then he died. WOW.

Just think about that for a minute.

I asked for God to take the man.

And He did.

I know I shouldn't be surprised right? But the Lord continues to amaze me. It was so powerful to know that He truly does answer us, and that He has given us all authority to ask in the name of Jesus and expect results. I guess the lesson here is, if you don't want it, DON'T ASK ;)

Another testimony to this is yesterday I had a mother here with her small child. He came to the clinic weak, with a hemoglobin of 4.5 (normal is 12-15). He was so anemic that he was weak. We had to transfuse him with 250 mL of whole blood to get it up to 8.2. He is doing much better and his name is Emmanuel. Anyway, his mother, Ernestina is really precious and patient with us. So, she asked if we knew of anyone who worked at White Sands (the local resort) because she needed a job. As a matter of fact she was a cook. Nathan (a little boy D is tutoring), his father is a pastry chef there! So we told her yes we did. That we would talk to him for her and that she should expect to receive all that she needs in Jesus' name. She said "I receive it!" and was so happy. The joy of the Lord was so heavy on her.  So, this morning D was planning to head over to the nursery school to catch the father by 8:00 when he dropped Nathan off. D was running late this morning and didn't get there by 8, but around 8:15 when I arrived at morning devotional, the man was THERE! Ok, this is strange because I haven't seen this man in weeks. He was bringing his daughter to the clinic, today. And Ernestina was in the hospital with her son, today. So, they met and she is going Monday for an interview! Man, God is so cool We need to be more confident in Him, that he will provide everything we need. She is well and blessed, and praising the Lord tonight for his providence.

I am so pleased to be a servant of Christ. To be a vessel. And to do and say things based on want my master desires for me to say and do. Because through this powerful relationship, lives are changed. Not because I can give medicine or I can perform surgery, but because of Christ's ability to change the soul that lives in me. Anyone can study a book and know to give this med or that med. But, not every one can ask for redemption of the soul, food for the heart. So, why are we waiting? Let's start asking! There are a lot of people out there that need us to ask. They NEED us to intercede for them because they can't, or won't, or don't know how. Don't be afraid to ask, and when you do, ask specifically, so that when it happens you KNOW it was God. Testify to His power, and His willingness to work with in us and to use us. What an honor to be a vessel for The Creator himself to use as he pleases. But if you aren't willing, He won't make you. He won't force you. So, open up. Ask Him what He would have you do and say. Ask for specific things. Then testify to the greatness, to the One and Only Great Jehovah. Don't be afraid. This is for someone, that you are afraid to ask because you are afraid it won't happen, or you will look silly. If you are thinking that way, then you aren't outside of yourself. That is your flesh talking. Lay it aside.

I mean, asking never hurt, right? How many teachers did I have that said "there are no bad questions."

And yet, we still don't ask.

Why?

As for me, I am doing well. The doctor even left the clinic tonight and let us round and 'take over' for him so he could run a few errands. It was great. Really eye opening that I will be doing this in a few months (Lord willing, of course)! Dustin is also doing well, his students took the end of semester exam today so he is busy grading away. Can't believe we leave so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment