Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Zucchini Patty Sandwiches

I got this day's recipe from Whole Living. Overall I have to say it was a success, because I did eat it, and it was my first vegetarian attempt. As with anything there are a few things I would change.... My whole wheat pitas from Fresh Market were too thin (I think that's why they cracked).



  • Ingredients

  • 1 15.5-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup plain breadcrumbs (I used Panko) 
  • 1 zucchini, grated
  • 1 small red onion, grated
  • 1 egg, lightly whisked
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 whole-wheat pitas, toasted
  • 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 8 leaves tender lettuce
  • 1 cup fresh mint leaves

Directions

1.Mash chickpeas in a bowl until smooth. I used a food processor, and that worked great

2. Stir in breadcrumbs, zucchini, onion, egg, and salt.

3. Form into eight 4-by-1/2-inch patties. (Mine were a little raw in the middle, I say the thinner the better)

4. Saute patties in oil until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

5. Halve pitas and stuff with patties, yogurt, lettuce, and mint.


No comments:

Post a Comment